700 Charlestown Road
Springfield, VT 05156
Phone: (802) 885-9800
Fax: (802) 885-9819
Superintendent: Michael Lyon
Assistant Superintendent: Kevin Jenkins
Assistant Superintendent: Michaela Merrill
Security and Operations Supervisor: James Studebaker
Training and Recruitment Contact: Karen Marchant
Living Unit Supervisors: Monique Sullivan
The mission of the Southern State Correctional Facility
The mission of the Southern State Correctional Facility (SSCF) is to diligently serve and effectively collaborate with the criminal justice community. We will protect the public by providing safe, secure, and humane supervision and confinement of offenders.
- We will promote and encourage positive change by facilitating risk-reducing programs in disciplined, safe, and supportive housing communities.
- We will provide our employees with comprehensive training and support which will promote and develop highly skilled and motivated corrections professionals.
- We will maintain a partnership with human service agencies, volunteers, community leaders, and service providers in order to respond to the multiple needs of offenders and the challenges to be met in their return to the community. As a team, we will strive to facilitate the successful reintegration of offenders into the community as responsible and productive citizens.
Facts and Information about the Southern State Correctional Facility
- SSCF is a Central Level male facility with 370 beds, not counting our admissions area. Constructed on the facility began in 2002 and started operations as Vermont’s newest facility on October 6th, 2003 when we accepted our first offenders.
- SSCF has a current allotment of 146 state employee positions. You also should add our contracted staff members to that number, they provide medical, mental health, dental, and other program services to our site.
- The facility is a campus-style correctional institution that encompasses over 27 acres and includes six buildings; the core facility, three inmate housing units, an emergency energy building, and a maintenance building. The SSCF campus includes modernized medical facilities with an infirmary for acute care, x-ray, dental and optometry services. Additionally, SSCF contains a housing unit for elderly and chronically ill offenders, a Secure Mental Health Stabilization unit, a Mental Health Transitional unit, and the state’s largest Close-Custody unit for housing disruptive inmates. SSCF also serves Orange, Windham, Windsor, and parts of Bennington County by accepting detainees from local, county, and state law-enforcement in these territories, serving a dual purpose as a jail as well as a prison.
- We are also very proud to be one of 16 campuses of the Community High School of Vermont (CHSV).
- The Community High School of Vermont “is a fully accredited high school through the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEAS&C)”.
Visiting Hours by Housing Unit
- Alpha: by appointment
- Foxtrot Close Custody: Saturday, 5:30- 7:30 pm
- Echo: Saturday, 8:30 - 10:30 am
- Bravo: Saturday, 11:00 - 1:00 pm
- Charlie: Saturday, 11:00 - 1:00 pm
- Infirmary: Saturday, 11:00 - 1:00 pm
- India: Saturday, 1:30 - 3:30 pm
- Delta: Sunday, 8:30 - 10:30 am
- Gulf: Sunday, 11:00 - 1:00 pm
- Hotel: Sunday, 1:30 - 3:30 pm
Want to keep up with the latest going on at the Southern State Correctional Facility, then