Second Corrections Staff Member Tests Positive for COVID-19
Waterbury, Vt., October 28, 2020 – A second staff member at Northeast Correctional Complex (NECC) in St. Johnsbury has tested positive for COVID-19.
The staff member was tested for COVID-19 on Monday, October 26 as part of NECC mass testing, and was last in the facility on October 27. A total of two staff at NECC have now tested positive for coronavirus this month. The first tested positive on October 22 and was last in the facility on October 12.
Early contact tracing does not show a connection between the two individuals, indicating these may be two independent cases.
Vermont Department of Corrections (DOC) and Vermont Department of Health officials immediately took the following actions upon receipt of the positive test result Tuesday:
- NECC remains on full lockdown pending the outcome of contact tracing and a follow-up round of mass testing scheduled for November 2.
- All intakes are still diverted from NECC.
- Contact tracing is underway, initiated with the Rapid Response Team.
- Other staff identified as having close contact with the positive individual are quarantining.
- Any inmates transferred from NECC will follow quarantine protocol upon arrival at next facility.
Since the start of the pandemic, 24 Vermont DOC staff members have tested positive for COVID-19.
Daily updates on the COVID-19 response in Vermont’s correctional facilities can be found at https://doc.vermont.gov/covid-19-information-page.
# # #