Community High School of Vermont
|What is CHSVT?||Meet Us||Annual Reports||Habits of Mind||Meeting Minutes|
Community High School of Vermont assists adult students by maintaining campuses throughout the state to develop personalized learning plans and provide coordinated learning opportunities that address educational and criminogenic needs to strengthen their skills in living, learning, and working.
Our mission encompasses our dual purposes of offering an accredited high school education and providing risk-reducing interventions within the Vermont Department of Corrections to decrease recidivism.
CHSVT is recognized as an International Habits of Mind Learning Community of Excellence by the Institute for Habits of Mind
CHSVT is an accredited independent high school by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges
CHSVT is acknowledged as an accredited independent high school by the Vermont State Board of Education
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION
CHSVT does not discriminate in the operation of any of its programs, services, or facilities on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, positive HIV/Hepatitis-related blood test results, genetic information, gender identity or expression, criminal offense or status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran, or Armed Forces service medal veteran (collectively "protected veterans"), as these terms are defined under applicable law, or any other factor or characteristic protected by law.
NOB 2 South, 280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-2000
Phone: 802-241-0055 | Fax: 802-241-0040
MESSAGE TO OUR STUDENTS
CHSVT believes in education based in real-world competencies.
Success in living, learning and working is based on what you know and what you can do. At Community High School of Vermont, our mission is to help you learn the knowledge and skills you need to succeed in all three areas. As well, consistent with the mission of the Department of Corrections, we want that success to include a reduction in the risk of reoffending.
Our programs are developed using research-based standards in education and career fields to define "competencies" students need to possess to graduate. These competencies form the curriculum. This combination of expertise in both industry knowledge and academics guarantees your credentials will be relevant in your chosen field.
You earn your diploma and industry recognized credentials through demonstration of skills and knowledge in required subject areas through a series of carefully designed assessments and the creation of a portfolio. You'll take tests, write papers, and complete assignments. But rather than focus on seat time or credit hours, we make sure you graduate as a highly competent professional.
Our unique approach offers you many advantages:
• Our "prove it" mentality means never having to spend time "re-learning" material you already know. Already have experience? Great! You can use it to complete assessments as soon as you're ready. If you're already competent in a subject area, you can prove it faster and complete your credential faster.
• You can accelerate your program. Whether it's through prior experience or just plain hard work (or both), you are able to complete your program as soon as you can successfully complete all of the necessary assessments.
• Your credentials will be recognized by employers and academia. Our competency-based approach is widely recognized by employers because it's an approach used by most corporations as the basis for promotions and advancement.
• You'll be ready for real-world challenges.
• When you graduate, your credentials will mean you've mastered the essential skills and knowledge the workplace demands.